Friday, March 25, 2011

Lots of Random Crap

Greetings loyal Tuned readers, Wallio here with a bunch of random thoughts cluttering up my head.

First, you may have noticed a trend with my posts and Rebel's. His are thought out and philosophical, mine are barely-coherent rants about whatever grabs me that day. Reb is a man of few words, I never shut the hell up. You'll also notice this in our Driving Styles. While he's more cool and calculating, I drive at 110% all the time and often see the red mist. This will be demonstrated in our first video.

Speaking of videos, the first one's coming, I swear. I know it was supposed to be a semi-weekly thing, but you know how that goes. But they are coming. Honest.

Back to me vs. Reb for a moment, he stole my thunder a bit with his last post. I'm usually the old school guy, and he's the modern marvels man. That being said, I'm glad he posted that. I have a few observations on it. First, note the lack of a "muscle car" category. What consider muscle cars today were the Supercars of yore. Supercars as we know them today (Paganis, Astons, Bugattis) are a relatively new concept. As is the idea of a muscle car. Also, there are no 60-ft times listed because no one measured them. Back in '68 you only got a 1/4 mile time and speed, that's it. No 60-ft, no 1/8th mile, hell you didn't even get a reaction time! That all started in the 1980s. Finally, and I know I'm being anal here, the "Scrambler Rambler" didn't exist. They are referring to the SC/Rambler a Super Stock AMC rocket that's official name was the SC/Rambler (after its racing class). Don't know why they bothered testing it, only a few hundred were built (250 I think, I'll look it up though) so few people could buy it.

Also, I've been thinking more and more about a car autopilot lately. All one would need is a car with a built in GPS, a traction control system, and one of those new radar-guided cruise control systems.  Have someone do a little computer programming, and boom! Auto-pilot! The GPS would tell the car where to go, the TCS would work the throttle, and the cruise would prevent you from hitting anything. Only problem would be stop signs and red lights, I'm still working on that part. But that's a trivial detail really, and besides it would work wonders on Interstates. I really think this could work, so if anyone has, say a S-Class Mercedes or a 7-Series BMW and would like to let me play around with it, write to us at Tunedtv@gmail.com.

Finally, I had the joy of meeting one of our readers the other day. She is a sweetheart (although now that I know she reads this I may have to clean up my language a little). Anyway the point is, I love hearing from readers so please comment and email!

No comments:

Post a Comment