Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Upcoming New Cars I Like" Rant (Finally)

Ok I know I promised a video discussing a few upcoming cars, and I made it, and edited it (Honest!), but I've finally decided to scrap it. I know this is supposed to be a video blog, but since I used a webcam, the video was terrible, and was only marginaly better after editing. So I've decided to go toward quality or quanity. Plus, Rebel wasn't in it and it isn't really fair to him (nor is it nearly as funny) when he's not around. Plus, after seeing the Pagani Huayra in much more detail at Geneva, I needed to rethink my remarks. So I thought I'd post it as a text post.

There's a few new cars that are causing all the headlines right now. The first is the Ferrari FF or "Ferrari Four".


This is both the first four-wheel drive car that Ferrari has produced and the first ever hatchback. I'm not buying into the hype on this one folks. Why did Ferrari decide to make a 4WD car? To compete with Lambo? What the hell for? The classic rule has always been if you want a flashly car, buy a Lambo, if you want a legit performance machine, buy a Ferrari. Like Vette vs. Viper, real pilots will always choose the Viper. So why is Ferrari pandering to this crowd now? Real drivers don't need 4WD, RWD more than suffices. And why a hatchback? Do people really need to carry luggage in their Ferrari? Really?

I wonder what old man Ferrari would say? I imagine he would not be pleased. It only reenforces his stereotype about Ferrari owners, that they were rich idoits who hated cars but wanted glamour and he dispised them for it. (Yes, he really believed this, and said it, repeatedly.) Oh well. We'll see if it sells. Sadly, it probably will.



Next, we have the Pagani Huarya (pronounced waɪ-rah).  I at first didn't like this car. I didn't like the front end, I didn't like the roofline, I hated the interior, and I definately didn't like the stupid, nearly unpronoucable name (its an Arginetinan wind god). But I realize now that I was only upset that it was replacing the Zonda, and in the case of the interior, it was an awful press shot that was released. Now, I love this car. It features an AMG V12 producing a few ticks over 700bhp, its RWD, and features gullwing doors and a beautiful "carbo-tanium" body that is ludicriously light, but strong enough to withstand 1.5g of cornering ability. This car, while not as insane looking as the Zonda, its dead sexy, and will no doubt ensure Pagani's rightful place as Italy's second greatest car company.




Last, there's the new Chrysler 300. The first thing you need to know about this car is that Rebel doesn't like it. But I do, and since he's not here, I'm going to talk about it. It looks have been redesigned to look more uppity (think Audi). New smaller grille, cat's eye headlights that extend up into the hood, and LEDs everywhere are the most notable changes, but the engines have changed as well. In America the 3.5L V6 will be standard and the 5.7L Hemi will be available. However, there is no more SRT-8 version (not in 2012 anyway) and only automatic trannies will be built. While I like the new body, and like how its basically the same price as the old one, I don't like the lack of an SRT-8, the lack of a stick, or the fact that the 3.6L V6 Diesel that European versions will get won't come to the US. Why not? What the hell? Interestingly, in Europe, this car will be badged as a Lancia, the first real evidence of FIAT's ownership of Chrysler.

Well that's enough for today, we should have the Nova's new lump together by tonight God willing, so hopefully an update on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment