Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So I Went With a Korean




What's going on folks? Reb here with my debut post. Honestly, I didn't have anything particularly interesting to say until Wallio said mention the Sonata. Hell, why not?


This past week my girlfriend and I took a trip back to Mississippi to visit my family and get away for awhile. While the original plan was to make the trek in my Camaro, her grandparents told us we could take their '08 Hyundai Sonata down. While at first I lamented the idea of a 2,000 mile round trip in a four pot econobox, visions of slaying rice on the freeway and full throttle onramp blasts quickly subsided as reality kicked in and I realized how much money we'd save by taking the Korean gas miser. The damn thing got around 540 miles to a tank. My Camaro won't even get 300. C'mon folks!


Past the obvious economy, the thing was whisper quiet and rode very smooth, unlike the Chevy that assaults what little hearing via dumped long tubes and warrants chiropractic visitations through it's Conestoga wagon-esque ride. Did I mention the thing had a trunk the size of a closet and plenty room on the inside? Needless to say, it was a nice departure. A little mundane and boring at times, but nice overall.


What made it even better was the XM radio. I seriously want to install one in my car. None of that bluegrass bullshit when you hit the outskirts of town; we listened to whatever we wanted with crystal clarity. XM Sirius radio FTW folks... FTMFW.



Around town the thing was god awful slow, but I'll excuse it considering how far she'd go without the gas gauge moving at all. The styling isn't bad either. It almost looks like an Audi A4 from the side. Really, Google an '06 or so A4. It's nothing some 18" Genesis wheels, tint and lowering springs wouldn't fix. All in all, I hated to give it back. Boring as it may be, it really serves it's purpose. I couldn't own one as my sole means of transportation, but I'd love something like it to daily drive while keeping the Camaro around for sunny days.


I'm looking now for a cheap 4cyl to putt around in. Maybe a Civic, Integra, Corolla, Accord, ect. Hell, maybe a diesel Mercedes or Volkswagen. We'll see what happens.


This is Reb signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment